Advanced Course (coming soon)
The Advanced course will provide Portable Pilot Unit (PPU) users with hands-on practical training. It is intended to ensure that a PPU user becomes proficient in the knowledge and use of their equipment by building on the competencies gained in the Foundation and Intermediate courses with their Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
The Advanced course will ensure that participants have demonstrated practical skills in setting up, planning and preparation, fault finding, and using the piloting software proficiently. During the course, the participant will be required to prepare and set up a PPU for pilotage in an unfamiliar port or waterway for a vessel as specified by the instructor.
It consists of modules 11-13 and adheres to the guidelines established by the International Maritime Pilots Association (IMPA).
What you’ll learn:
- The optimum setting up and positioning of a PPU for Pilotage
- Checking for the correct operation of the communications within the PPU system – RTK, NTRIP, DGPS, SBAS, Bluetooth, WiFi
- Establishing accuracy of the PPU system derived position
- Practical setting up and monitoring the data from a PPU
- Practical setting up and monitoring AIS data for shipping and situational awareness
- Practical management of passage progress, ETA management, and Cross Track distance monitoring
- Completion of the Intermediate course, or click the "Enquire Now" button below for more information on pre-requisites for this course
- Facilitated by our trainers, led by Navicom’s Specialist Training Director, a retired Naval Commander with over 40 years of experience as a mariner
At a glance:
- 3 separate learning modules, each covering a key aspect of setting up and preparing a PPU in person
- Hands on practical experience with using a PPU at your location of choice
- Personalised certificate on course completion
For additional and summarized information please use the data tabs below.
Furthermore, if you would like to register your interest for this course or if you have any additional questions, you can use the “Enquire Now” option and a member of our friendly sales team will be in touch with you.
Module 11: Practical training and personal instruction in setting up the PPU
Module 12: Practical training and personal instruction in preparing the PPU
Module 13: Practical on water/simulator training with using a PPU