Sensor to Display – Set-up comms.
- Ensure the communication links are set up properly (Wi-Fi/BT) between the PPU sensor and the laptop/tablet running the ECS.
- Ensure the units are talking to each other (flow of data)
- Check your lights (LEDs) on the sensor.
Antenna offsets – Enter the correct offsets in the ECS
- This tells the ECS where the PPU master antenna is placed on the ship so it can accurately paint the image of the vessel based on that.
- It also provides the errors the ECS needs to take into account while making calculations to provide the vital data points like position and heading.
Vessel – Vessel/Ship select in ECS
- For the ChannelPilot, this is done by sending the ships' MMSI.
- Because the HarbourPilot system is independent of the host vessel, this step is not required for the HP systems.
Exchange – MPX – Share info, discuss and agree the plan...
- Discuss passage plans with the ships’ bridge & navigation crew.
- Include critical information like meeting points, CPA or virtual AtoN’s which the ships’ crew may not be aware of.
- Collectively review the MPX check-list and sign off on paperwork/e-logs once the passage plan is agreed.
Talk –with tugs and other support vessels/crew
- Communicate with tugs and other support vessels/crew that are part of the operation.
- Ensure everyone is aware of the plan of action/passage-plan.
- Stay in constant communication throughout the operation.
Interrogate – Own-ship in ECS and passage plan
- Confirm the ECS is receiving GPGGA sentences i.e. position information from the sensor
Monitor – Quality of GPS/DGPS/RTK signal
- GNSS based sensors require a clear view of the sky for optimal performance.
- Ideal positioning (please refer to the instructions in the product manual) should result in strong satellite reception
Evaluate – HDOP (Horizontal dilution of position)
- This is the quality of the signal from the various satellite constellation configurations (relative to the position of the sensor and based on the geometrical pattern viewed by the sensors receiver)
- The ECS will inform you - How many satellites is the sensor using?
- An HDOP of ≤1 is ideal! It is the highest possible confidence level to be used for applications demanding the highest possible precision at all times. HDOP of ≤2 its excellent and ≤5 is good. With anything higher, a more open view of the sky is recommended.
Bon Voyage! Always remember to look out of the window!
Certain features like voyage recording, voice recording and others can be used to review the passage or even for personal or team enhancement during training.
SAVE TIME with this seamless PPU set-up acronym!